Sunday, March 11, 2007

I was inspired...



At the last SAJ's I was watching the lovely Julie van O making some glass pendants with soldered edges. Got me thinking I have a soldering iron from when I indulged in a little lead lighting some years back. And so I decided to have a go as I wanted to give the teachers who looked after Taidgh when he as injured on school camp. All was going good except when I had to do some travelling to get the right solder! Byford to Cannington to Dick Smiths where I got silver solder (4%) and whilst there managed to pick up some of those glass fuses - 6 in a little box for $1.98! this was good as Bunnings wanted $5 for 2! Thanks Julie I did manage to get the fuses open by heating the top - only broke 2 but when I wanted to solder the jump rings on I realised I needed some liquid flux to make a 'key' for the solder to work even though the silver solder had a core of flux it was not enough to bind - another car trip into Armadale. So what started off as yeah, I'll have a go at that turned into a 80km trip just to get the stuff together - also thanks to Elaine who got me the ball chain which saved me driving on into Vic Park LOL phew - all for a little thank you present but now I have the gear and can keep making stuff. It's all good fun really and it feels so much better when you have made something as a present instead of buying. Wishing you all a happy week. Hugs, Carmel xx

7 comments:

Natalie B said...

Carmel - WOW What a fantastic gift for Taigh's teachers.... You are so talented my girl.. I cannot solder to save my life, so faux soldering only for me... :-) Nat

Ev said...

They are beautiful Carmel. What a thoughtful gift - bet they will blow them away. I need to get my solder stuff out soon.

kelsey said...

How wonderful of you to do this for them, I'm sure they'll absolutely love them....gorgeous! Lucky you for having "practised" first on lead-lighting! lol

Dawnie said...

These are just super Carmel.You must be thrilled and bet you blow thesae teachers away with your gift.

Great job

Dawnie xxx

Sidetracked Home Executive said...

Carmel you are just so clever :o) They look amazing!!

carmel said...

thanks everyone for your lovely comments! yep they did indeed like them and probably relieved that it wasn't chocolates lol hugs, Carmel xx

Maggie Ann said...

These are beautiful! I want to try some pendents by and by. Trouble is I was told that solder with any lead in it was a no no for jewelry. I got some a Lowe's I think it was and it doesn't flow well AT all. could you tell me what brand solder youused? Thanks! knittermag.blogspot.c..